What's better: dual-channel memory mode or a bit more RAM?

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Wed Apr 27 13:39:46 UTC 2011

> Will A or B give me better performance?

One thing to try is memtest86+. Test both A and B configurations, and memtest
will tell you how fast the bandwidth to the ram is. You probably won't see a
lot of difference.

I've been reading that with quad cores, you want to run in unganged mode.
(which turns off dual-channel mode) This allows the cpus to access the banks
of ram independently. This is supposed to be faster.