OT: RE: FBI looking at open source sites!

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Wed Apr 27 01:24:29 UTC 2011

> I run Ubuntu on old semprons and the share works super
>smooth and i back up to it every day.  you haven't seen me
>here bc i don't have any issues with it.

It is great for a free OS, isn't it? I've been very happy with the stability
in all my servers. I've been using Centos on servers for years now, and I
have recently used Ubuntu as the OS on a couple of servers for myself and
for a customer of mine. I've have not had any problems.

I'm amazed how quickly they've been able to keep up with motherboard
hardware. For instance they been able to get all the current sata
controllers in both Intel and AMD chipsets working flawlessly. It lets you
use all the fast, but cheap 3g and 6g sata drives on the market. And SSD
drives. They even support the 4k sector drives being sold now.

Video drivers are sometimes a problem. I think because it's hard to write
drivers for video cards. If you can't get the manufacturer's driver to work,
usually the open source one works fine.

I think the main problem is 3D support isn't great if you use the open
source driver. I don't run 3D games so I'm not sure the differences. I think
maybe it's faster to use the manufacturer driver. It doesn't make a
difference either way to me - it's always more than fast enough.

A buddy of mine uses Ubuntu to edit and catalog 1000's of photographs that
he takes with his digital camera. He also uses it for his desktop (email,
browsing, etc). It works so well he thinks he knows more about computers
than he actually does. lol.

Thanks for all the effort guys (and gals). Great job!