First impressions of 11.04

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:30:56 UTC 2011

I was a very happy Kubuntu user and then came the changes. Kubuntu forced a
very early kde4 on us and then proceeded to do the same thing with a bunch
of other software for no good reason that I could see, but I have stuck with
it. kde 4 has at last become usable. Dolphin still sucks but is usable too,
as are the rest of the changes.

The REAL problem is that the users jumped ship like rats from a sinking
ship. A few years ago you could ask almost any question on the Kubuntu list
and get a great answer in minutes. Now there are like 3 posts a week and
they are almost all unanswered. I am still sticking with Kunbuntu because I
am advanced enough to fix most problems myself and because I am to lazy to
switch to something else but  a sinking ship really brings down the support
and bug fixing abilities of a distro! Conicals Achilles heal is forcing
change on users that don't want it and switching to new software before it
is really stable and mature.

All this talk of moving to the cloud and having no more desktops will not
happen because users don't like small spaces that much for real work. I am
sure that these small devices will stay small but they will get some sort of
3d screens that will give the users back their desktop size. Perhaps 3d
glasses of some sort or some sort of 3d projection devices. The keyboards
days are numbered. Voice recognition that is really usable is only a few
more years off. The cloud has its uses but who wants to upload all their HD
movies there and then back to play them? Email in the could and some
documents sure but everything? I don't think so unless we get MUCH faster
internet connections in a big and cheep way.

If they force this change, it will be the death of Ubuntu as the leader of
the pack.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!