Making Music with FOSS

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Mon Apr 25 10:50:56 UTC 2011

On 25/04/11 02:12, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/23/2011 01:18 PM, Seattle Chaz wrote:
>> Last week, opensource.com hosted a web-cast, Making Music with FOSS.
> On an OT but somewhat related note:
>
> Max Mathews, often called the father of computer music, died Thursday in
> San Francisco. He was 84.
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/24/arts/music/max-mathews-father-of-computer-music-dies-at-84.html>
>
> RIP Max Mathews.

Gary,
Thanks.
I didn't know and I don't expect our journals will mention it.
In retrospect, I remembered his collaboration with Pierre Boulez, one of
the european founding fathers of electronic music and although much of
what is done in this field is not to my liking, this pioneering work
advances the field of music and the work of prof. Mathews has been
fundamental for a.o. the current limitless possibilities of recording
and manipulation of musical sounds.
He will be remembered.
Joep