First impressions of 11.04

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 00:55:04 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-24 at 17:10 -0400, ssc1478 wrote:
> > > I still prefer that Unity be a choice. This is part of the reason I am
> > > going to Gentoo.
> >
> > Since when is it not a choice?  Don't want it?  Gnome is available
> > from the login screen.
> >
> > Don't like Gnome?  There's still Xubuntu and Kubuntu and Lubuntu...
> >
> > How is that not a choice?
> >

> I don't know yet if I will like Unity.  Will moving from X cause
> problems with the different window managers?
>
> I'm investigating options in case I don't like Unity.  I installed
> kubuntu a few days ago and had a go with it.  Maybe I would have
> gotten to the point where I liked it but gave up and uninstalled the
> many packages.  What I observed is that ubuntu has put its resources
> behind gnome, not kde.

I LIKE KDE, but not kubuntu. So, I install Ubuntu and add KDE after.
It's mainly over their notion to have a different audio manager than
pulse. And it's in beta, for Chris sake. Just GOTTA do something
different. That was supposed to be fixed in 10.10, but I didn't see
that. So, I use KDE the way that works for me. I happen to like Pulse
and what it does. I can use KDE and Pulse installing as I do. KDE4 is
pretty stable now, and does allow you to use the old style Application
Launcher menu. I can't tell the difference between KDE3 and KDE4 now.
:) Ric

Linux user# 44256