First impressions of 11.04

ssc1478 ssc1478 at aim.com
Sun Apr 24 21:10:17 UTC 2011

> > I still prefer that Unity be a choice. This is part of the reason I am
> > going to Gentoo.
>
> Since when is it not a choice?  Don't want it?  Gnome is available
> from the login screen.
>
> Don't like Gnome?  There's still Xubuntu and Kubuntu and Lubuntu...
>
> How is that not a choice?

I don't know yet if I will like Unity.  Will moving from X cause
problems with the different window managers?

I'm investigating options in case I don't like Unity.  I installed
kubuntu a few days ago and had a go with it.  Maybe I would have
gotten to the point where I liked it but gave up and uninstalled the
many packages.  What I observed is that ubuntu has put its resources
behind gnome, not kde.  So if in the future they are putting their
resources behind unity, gnome will eventually lose the polish that it
has today with ubuntu.  That's my opinion and admit that I could be
wrong.

Today I installed Fedora on an old Thinkpad T41 that I have.  So far
so good.  3D desktop works and so far no performance issues.

I don't know if I'll like fedora in the long run.

My .02
Phil