Explain to me again why Unity is so great...

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 24 20:59:49 UTC 2011

On 24 April 2011 20:06, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/2011 11:53 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> To be strictly accurate it is the answer to the question of life, the
>> universe and everything.  So it is the answer to a specific question,
>> which is not the same as the answer to everything.
>
> Well, if we want to be strictly accurate then it is the Answer to the
> *Ultimate* Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything".  Just wanted
> to throw in your miss of ultimate :P

We really aught to move this to sounder, but since sounder is no more...

I interpret "The ultimate question of life the universe and
everything" as being equivalent to "The Ultimate Question, which is
the question of life the universe and everything", rather than the
adjective Ultimate being used to select a particular one of a complete
set of questions of life the universe and everything, the others of
which are presumably less ultimate than the one who's answer is 42.

If my interpretation is correct then it is valid to refer to "The
Ultimate Question", "The Question of Life, the Universe and
Everything" or "The Ultimate Question of Life the Universe and
Everything" as they are all equivalent.

To bring this back on topic, the problem in the book is, of course,
that no-one knows what in fact the Ultimate Question is.  Perhaps it
is "What is so great about Unity".  The answer does not seem to fit
too well however.

Colin