Can't load Ubuntu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 18:31:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 13:23 -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Hi All,  I have an old Dell computer that had xp on it. I accidentaly
> wiped windows out but I don't need it anyway.  It is one Ghz with 512
> memory card.  I am trying to install 10.04 with EMC . I have a CNC
> milling machine almost finished and want to use EMC as my controler.  I
> put a desktop cd in the drive and it ran right to the end but would not
> open up in the monitor. After several tries I tried a complete install
> of Ubuntu 10.04  from another cd. It seems to install but does not start
> up only a blank screen and no sound of starting. In this operation I
> accidentally did away with windows.  Grub comes up and I can select
> Ubuntu. The monitor is and older one that I have used with Ubuntu before
> I Moved it out the the workshop I think I used it with 8.04 so I guess
> there are drivers in 10.4 that will work with IT??  The monitor did work
> with XP.

I just installed 10.10 to an old Dell with a Pentium 4 and 1 gig of ram.
I dinked and hammered on it for almost a entire wasted day, and finally
noticed that at random times the keyboard didn't respond. It had a USB
keyboard hooked up to it. So, I scrounged and found a old PS-2 Dell
branded keyboard, plugged it in and the install went forth smooth as a
greased eel. I also jammed an elderly nVidia board into it, for better
graphics. But, the best resolution I could get was 640/480. So, I
replaced that monitor for a newer old one. Now, it runs at 1280/1024.
Old Iron can be picky. It sure didn't like that USB keyboard and the
monitor was for crap, it's on it's way to the bone yard, to rest in
peace.

"If thy eye offendeth thee, pluck it out." works on installs.

If Ubuntu is the only OS on that machine, I wouldn't think you would
have to select it. Now that you've lost that Win partition, just let the
installer run on cruise control, let it do the choosing by formatting
everything, erasing the all of the old partitions completely, to start
over from scratch. Also, check your bios to make sure that it can write
to the boot track, with virus protection turned off, before starting.
Trouble shooting with a shotgun, Ric

Linux user# 44256