how to retain nvidia Xserver settings while upgrading ubuntu.

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Apr 23 09:44:07 UTC 2011

On 23 April 2011 10:02, ASHWIN KARANTH <ashwi6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am following instructions which is given in this link (
> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx-to-10.10-maverick-meerkat-desktop-and-server
> ) , to update ubuntu from 10.04 to 10.10. By doing this,  will Nvidia X
> server settings will went off...? or will it carry the same changes to
> upgraded version also. I don't want to lose my Nvidia xserver settings.

Hard to say. I have upgraded a machine recently and the nvidia driver
itself has changed (for the worse), so even keeping the configuration
I had before, it's broken.

You could backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf which contains the x
configuration, and in case that gets replaced/removed/modified during
the upgrade, you can put it back.

I'd also recommend using the official upgrade guides.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

Al.