Windoze(tm) user asks " why ????tu/*nix" - was [Re: (OT) Explain to me again why Unity is so great...]

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 04:12:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 20:45 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> N.B. - top posted 'for cause'
> I'm a Windows(tm) user
> I'd like a usable OS & was referred to Ubuntu variant of *nix.
>
> I downloaded the .iso of a 'live' version.
> It can be loaded/run on my system.
> It is as *BLOATED*/'????'/{it's way or highway} as anything from
> Gates Inc.

If all you experienced was the live version, no graphical acceleration
on top of running it at DVD speeds, you ain't seen nothing. Installed,
at it's worst, IMHO it beats Windows hands down, especially on older
systems. I just installed 10.10 to an aged Dell (Pentium 4 with 1 meg of
memory, and once I got the graphical hardware driver turned on, it flew
much faster than any other Windows based machine in the office.

I did a pose and pointed to a Windows machine, then to the Linux machine
saying "Old and busted." then  "New hotness.", ala Will Smith. Then I
installed the KDE desktop to it, and most of the staff agreed that
making the leap from XP to Linux was pretty much a painless breeze.
Myself, I've never liked the gnome desktop. I'm a Windows 3.1(tm) guy.
Ric
Linux user# 44256