Explain to me again why Unity is so great...

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 23 03:49:48 UTC 2011

On 04/22/2011 03:23 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 22 April 2011 23:12, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Boggles my mind... but I reckon that one can get used to it -
>> eventually. Jorge O. Castro made a pretty slick video of how he uses Unity:
>>

> Jorge has been a very strong advocate of Unity. He's worked pretty
> hard to help get people updated with what's going on.
>
>> Worth downloading to view at will, but it's 34.5MB so make sure you have
>> the bandwidth connection before attempting the downlad.
>>

> +1. It's one of those videos that really helps cement how a 'normal'
> user might use Unity.

I wouldn't consider Jorge as a 'normal' user.

The video reminds me that I'm somewhat of an 'old fart' sitting on a
park bench watching a kid use both thumbs to pound out
illiterate/abbreviated text messages on an iPhone. When I try to do the
same (albeit literate/non-abreviated) text messages my thumbs don't work
the same. However, I can rip a keyboard & keep at least 5 SeaMonkey
windows & about 30 tabs going at the same time as well as OOo, LO,
Rhythmbox (Banshee doesn't work with an iPod Touch in natty unless you
figure out which added package to install - I did) etc. I reckon that I
can out productivity Jorge on GNOME 2 in a heads on test of familiar
applications. That said, Jorge did (IMO) a fantastic job with the video
& I highly recommend prospective Unity users to view it.

Interestingly; a kid that could do the above (thumbs/iPhone) finally
broke down and asked me to show him how to do what I do (keyboard,
GNOME, panels, etc). Took him awhile to learn how to spell & type, but
he has now is actually quite productive on Ubuntu. When I asked him what
he thought of Unity... we'll let's just say that I can't post his
response here.

>> I seriously doubt that I'll be using Unity in the near future, but I
>> figure it's worth experimenting with if one has the time & hardware to
>> play.
>>

> I've been getting quite frustrated with Unity myself recently. Today I
> used 10.04 (Lucid) for a significant chunk of time and found it faster
> and more efficient than Unity. That clearly flies in the face of the
> received wisdom from those who designed Unity, or it could be that 6+
> years of GNOME 2.x desktop is hard to break :)

+1