Explain to me again why Unity is so great...

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Apr 22 22:21:03 UTC 2011

On 04/22/2011 05:38 PM, Shaun Jones wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2011 4:32 PM, "Thierry de Coulon" <tcoulon at decoulon.ch
> <mailto:tcoulon at decoulon.ch>> wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 22 April 2011 10:58:29 pm Colin Law wrote:
> to why
> what I've

> offtopic, and
> especially when
> > >
> > > I suggest that asking for help in understanding the logic behind the
> > > evolution of Ubuntu is a perfectly valid subject for this list.  An
> > > answer would increase the readers understanding of Ubuntu and where it
> > > is going and would presumably help us to get the most out of the OS.
> > >
> > > So is there an answer to the question as to why Ubuntu is going down
> > > this route?  Hopefully the answer is not 42.
> > >
> > > Colin
> >
> > I absolutely second this. I don't really feel concerned with Unity -
> I run
> > Trinity on a desktop, with wired mouse and keyboard, so I am
> probably even
> > more turning "dodo" than Ric.
> >
> > However, I've allready experienced this on the SuSE lists with KDE
> 4: we are
> > told that we should move on with the others, but when we ask _why_ the
> > new "thing" is better.... no answer.
> >
> > No one on this list seems able to answer the simple question that is
> in the
> > title of these mails. Ric did not either actually: the desktop
> computer is
> > supposed to die, ok, but in what does this make Unity so great?
> >
> > Thierry
> >

> > --
>
> Xubuntu will give you the classic style your looking for plus there
> are other options. For example you could use icewm with gnome apps and
> this works quite well. There are many alternatives out there, unity
> gnome 3 are all aiming at the tablet and mobile platform and I don't
> think this way of thinking is gonna change. If you come to the Xubuntu
> side ill see ya there moved awhile ago and haven't looked back.
>
> Mister Jones

I see that several of the contributors here have mentioned the death of
the home computer, and the ascendancy of the tablet.  I don't know about
anyone else, but when the touchscreen becomes all there is, I hope to
have passed on.  Certainly I won't be using it.  (My daughter has one,
and I've tried it.  What a disaster!)  I'll join in with the previous
poster who said he's an old fogy.  Me too!

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley