Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Apr 21 10:04:48 UTC 2011

On 21/04/11 11:56, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 21/04/11 01:40, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 18:54 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>>> I didn't follow the purpose of the nix history. Nothing more.
>>
>> A quick correction - the first Unix was written for the PDP-7 in 1969 -
>> not the PDP-11 which did not even exist in 1969. It was called Unics
>> which was a pun on Multics. In 1971 the 1st Edition Unix was running on
>> a PDP-11/20. This system was the immediate successor to Unics.
>>
> Smoot,
> I stand corrected! Sometimes I get my dates mixed up, But if I remember
> correctly the PDP-11 came in the market in, I thought, October 1971 as a
> direct answer of Ken Olson to the
> Sorry, I pushed the sent button too quickly.
> I found that the first PDP-11 was even from 1970 but I can't find
> any more the name of the system developed by a group of technicians which
> had developed the forerunner of the PDP-11 in 1968/1969 but were pissed off
> as Ken Olson didn't want to put it in the market and therefore went
> away, started a new company and put this 16-bit machine in the market,
I'm sorry!! for the second time instead of get mail I pushed send!! My
apologies.
The story is then that Olson was so pissed off that he put the PDP-11
within 9 months in the market and when you opened the 2 boxes you didn't
find much difference.
I assume other computer veterans on this list can give better details on
this.
Any way on this site > http://gunkies.org/wiki/PDP-11
the PDP11-20 is said to be set into the market in 1970 and ran several
OS. Unix (DEC name: Ultrix) was one of them.
Joep