Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Apr 21 09:56:17 UTC 2011

On 21/04/11 01:40, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 18:54 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom at neuroweave.nl>  wrote:
>>>
>>> What is it you don't follow??
>>>
>>> The first incarnation of Unix was written for the PDP-11 from DEC. I
>>> mentioned that I acquired that machine after I had had experience with
>>> another machine of DEC, the PDP8 which was not 16-bit but 12-bit (as the
>>> PDP-9 and PDP-10 were). The PDP-11 was the first machine programmed in
>>> hexadecimal (instead of octal which were the other machines). Unix was the
>>> first general 16-bit OS and incorporated several principles with respect to
>>> security that still forms the base of ala UNIX lookalikes.
>>
>> I didn't follow the purpose of the nix history. Nothing more.
>
> A quick correction - the first Unix was written for the PDP-7 in 1969 -
> not the PDP-11 which did not even exist in 1969.  It was called Unics
> which was a pun on Multics.  In 1971 the 1st Edition Unix was running on
> a PDP-11/20. This system was the immediate successor to Unics.

Smoot,
I stand corrected! Sometimes I get my dates mixed up, But if I remember
correctly the PDP-11 came in the market in, I thought, October 1971 as a
direct answer of Ken Olson to the
Sorry, I pushed the sent button too quickly.
I found that the first PDP-11 was even from 1970 but U can't find
anymore the name of the system developed by a group of technicians which
had developed the forerunner of the PDP-11 in 1969 but were pissed off
as Ken Olson didn't want to put it in the market and therefore went
away, started a new company and put this 16-bit machine in the market,