Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 21 01:26:38 UTC 2011

On 04/20/2011 04:40 PM, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 18:54 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>> >
>> > What is it you don't follow??
>> >
>> > The first incarnation of Unix was written for the PDP-11 from DEC. I
>> > mentioned that I acquired that machine after I had had experience with
>> > another machine of DEC, the PDP8 which was not 16-bit but 12-bit (as the
>> > PDP-9 and PDP-10 were). The PDP-11 was the first machine programmed in
>> > hexadecimal (instead of octal which were the other machines). Unix was the
>> > first general 16-bit OS and incorporated several principles with respect to
>> > security that still forms the base of ala UNIX lookalikes.
>>
>> I didn't follow the purpose of the nix history. Nothing more.
>
> A quick correction - the first Unix was written for the PDP-7 in 1969 -
> not the PDP-11 which did not even exist in 1969.  It was called Unics
> which was a pun on Multics.  In 1971 the 1st Edition Unix was running on
> a PDP-11/20. This system was the immediate successor to Unics.

Some folks got their PDP-11's from:
http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/Heathkit-DEC-H11.htm
http://heathkit.garlanger.com/hardware/systems/H11/
http://www.classiccmp.org/hp/hk/p70.jpg

Never could afford one myself, so I bought the H8 instead.

P.S.> Sounder's dead & this thread is already OT, so I reckon I'll add
my 2 cents.