Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 00:58:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> On 17/04/11 21:42, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom at neuroweave.nl>
>>  wrote:

>>> Your (OT) rant is firstly completely useless and secondly grossly in
>>> error.
>>> Or didn't you know that the MacOS is Linux (albeit BSD) with a
>>> not-so-intelligent overlay.

>> If you're going to correct someone, *please* get your facts right!
>>
>> OS X's based on FreeBSD, which most certainly isn't Linux.
>>
>> OS X's "overlay" is being imitated by both Canonical and GNOME so it
>> can't be *that* unintelligent...

> First, Linux was a slip of the pen, (typed and not reread) and to be
> nitpicking: FreeBSD is not BSD but a much later incarnation of it.Moreover,
> I have always had the impression that Unix is coined by Kernigan and Ritchy
> where Ken Thomson was the third man. Don't forget:C was never intended to be
> a real computer language, it was only a bag of subroutines to program the
> operating system Unix.
> I got my first incarnation of Unix from K & R in 1979 on a few tapes with a
> huge set of paper (documentation) for the old DEC PDP-11, (talking about
> real old systems) and was my successor for the PDP-8 which I bought it in
> 1969 working in a research institution.

I don't follow but it doesn't matter...

> And I humbly disagree as copying is not proof that something is good! Eye
> candy for one is an eye sore for another and the typical Mac GUI was only
> meant to be different from the MS GUI and didn't have user friendliness in
> mind. The only reason to plagiarize the Mac GUI is the thought that it will
> attract people that like the Mac but don't want the closed Apple
> environment.

We can't all agree...

Copying is a proof that something's successful. I generally advise
traders and the like at work to buy a Mac when they ask my advice and
they love it - every one of them. We're talking about people who've
been using Windows for years at work and at home.There's less eye
candy than Windows or KDE but it very user-friendly.