2d chance at Unity

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 03:23:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> I installed Natty beta 2 in a VM, but I screwed up.  I didn't pay attention
> to the machine settings.  Among other things I didn't check 3D Acceleration
> or give it more video memory.  When it booted up I got a message saying I
> didn't meet the hardware requirements for Unity and it booted to gnome.
>
> Is there a way to try to boot to Unity again without reinstalling Natty?
>
> Thanks,  Jim

Jim,

You can fiddle with the VM hardware configuration (almost) at will,
providing the guest (and not "client", sorry for the typo) is off.

As for your previous thread, forgot to tell you that you should not
configure any USB mouse as a USB device, the guest system recognizes
it at startup.

The message "didn't meet the hardware requirements for Unity" is
standard, even on a real station but once a compatible video driver is
loaded the system auto switches to Unity.

I tried to run Natty Alpha on VBox but couldn't set the hardware
parameters to support Unity. I guess there's a way to do it and if you
check previous threads in this very list I'm sure this subject has
already been addressed. For my part I ended up setting  up another
root and home partition in the physical disk and installed Natty there
( a "couple" of three or four times already). It's a piece of cake and
very quick, especially if you run the installer from a pen drive. For
my taste, Unity (without a touch screen) still sucks, but then I'm
just an old fart...

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.