Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Mon Apr 18 23:46:15 UTC 2011

On 4/17/11 12:21 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 17/04/2011 19:01, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>> :
>>> Eh, Basil,
>>> Your (OT) rant is firstly completely useless and secondly grossly in error.
>>> Or didn't you know that the MacOS is Linux (albeit BSD) with a
>>> not-so-intelligent overlay.
>> Oh?  Funny, I thought BSD (Berkeley Systems Development) was one of
>> the two "original" brands of UNIX, an offshoot from Ken Thompson and
>> Dennis Ritchie's work in Bell Labs, developed as a free alternative to
>> AT&T UNIX.. IIRC, BSD predates Linux by a couple of decades....
>>
> It is. Just the statement "MacOS is Linux" is incorrect. MacOS is Unix
> is closer... it's based on FreeBSD, but with a lot of proprietary add-ons...

It's not only closer; Apple has paid the money for the licensing,
therefore OS X is Unix certified and can be called (legally) UNIX. BSD
cannot do that, but only because of the dollar signs.

One may call the gui not-so-intelligent but I find it telling that both
gnome, Ubuntu/Unity, KDE, and Windows are on some kind of convergence
crusade. At this point few of them really can be considered
"intelligent" and their differences are fewer than similarities. They're
all moving towards a similar look.

What I find (more) interesting about OS X when looking at the modern
plans of moving to Wayland, is that NeXT/Apple essentially did a similar
move way back in the 80s and 90s, with Display Postscript and whatever
Apple's system is called now. X11 is an application just like any other,
and it runs on top of an actual nice graphical system.