Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun Apr 17 21:41:39 UTC 2011

On 17/04/11 21:42, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom at neuroweave.nl>  wrote:
>>
>> Your (OT) rant is firstly completely useless and secondly grossly in error.
>> Or didn't you know that the MacOS is Linux (albeit BSD) with a
>> not-so-intelligent overlay.
>
> If you're going to correct someone, *please* get your facts right!
>
> OS X's based on FreeBSD, which most certainly isn't Linux.
>
> OS X's "overlay" is being imitated by both Canonical and GNOME so it
> can't be *that* unintelligent...

Tom (e.a.),
First, Linux was a slip of the pen, (typed and not reread) and to be
nitpicking: FreeBSD is not BSD but a much later incarnation of
it.Moreover, I have always had the impression that Unix is coined by
Kernigan and Ritchy where Ken Thomson was the third man. Don't forget:C
was never intended to be a real computer language, it was only a bag of
subroutines to program the operating system Unix.
I got my first incarnation of Unix from K & R in 1979 on a few tapes
with a huge set of paper (documentation) for the old DEC PDP-11,
(talking about real old systems) and was my successor for the PDP-8
which I bought it in 1969 working in a research institution.
And I humbly disagree as copying is not proof that something is good!
Eye candy for one is an eye sore for another and the typical Mac GUI was
only meant to be different from the MS GUI and didn't have user
friendliness in mind. The only reason to plagiarize the Mac GUI is the
thought that it will attract people that like the Mac but don't want the
closed Apple environment.
Joep