Oh, please, please, COME ON Ubuntu development people!

Mike McGinn mikemcginn at mcginnweb.net
Sat Apr 16 15:28:31 UTC 2011

On Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:07:59 Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm an old fart. Heck, I was born before FTP even existed! I was online
> when the first commercial (i.e. not research/edu/darpa) internet
> operators were set up. When I started using internet, you didn't pay for
> it. You provided part of the infrastructure and that was your share of
> keeping the thing running... then people started to pay to get internet
> for their businesses. When I was in my 2nd job, I had to actually port
> PGP to my company MIPS RC-3230 system in order to encrypt an e-mail that
> was to be, then, sent by UUCP in order to order a geek T-shirt from Adam
> Black in the UK. I was in my 3rd job when Mosaic (the first internet
> browser) was announced. And I was wrong in thinking Java would get
> nowhere back in 1994 when it was still called Oak.
>
> > How many young people have been converted to using Linux - but let's
> > say, Ubuntu?
>
> I was. I was a Windows user. Then my Windows machine broke. I was told
> "try Linux". I was already hooked on NetBSD for my server (which has
> been online in one shape or another - now running Ubuntu 10.10 - since
> 1998). I had been using Yggdrasil (anybody on this list still remember
> that Linux), Mandrake (now called Mandriva), and had looked at Debian. I
> installed Ubuntu 6.04 (that tells you the year) and I was converted. I
> was already a 30+ year old fart, granted...
>

> Gilles

I remember reading the series of articles about porting BSD to the 386 which
appeared in Dr. Dobbs Journal in 1990 or so. The series was by William and
Lynne Jolitz and was a fascinating read. I was writing test software for
LeCroy at the time, software to test the front end electronics that hung at
the end of a particle beam, usually 96 input channels. It could be a lot of
data in memory at times. I was very interested in anything that could get me
away from the DOS 64K segment limit.

--
Mike McGinn		FACOCM
You won't look forward to the trip!