Samba: CUPS printers are not available at startup

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 15 04:06:01 UTC 2011

On 04/14/2011 08:00 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> Lucio, I use this machine to share a USB connected Canon MP750. I have
>> at least 5 other machines that connect and use the printer (lucid,
>> maverick, natty, WinXP & Win7) - all w/o issue. Here is my
>> status/testparm on this machine:
>>
>> gg at gg:/etc/init.d$ service cups status
>

>> If you'd like I'll be happy to send you my /etc/samba/smb.conf directly.
>
> Gary,
>
> Many thanks for your attention.
>
> Cups and  smbd status and testparm results are exactly the same
> (differences due process numbers, snips and "printcap name = cups"
> which seemed mandatory but wasn't).
>
> Then I changed the workgroup name at the print server station because
> there is one more machine configured as a Samba server in the same
> net. Didn't help.
>
> Restored "printcap cache time" back to default 700 in case 30 was too
> little. Didn't work.

Interesting. I do not have a "printcap cache time" in any of my smb.conf
files. The only bits that I have for printcap are:

########## Printing ##########

# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
#   load printers = yes

# lpr(ng) printing. You may wish to override the location of the
# printcap file
;   printing = bsd
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap

# CUPS printing.  See also the cupsaddsmb(8) manpage in the
# cupsys-client package.
;	printing = cups
;   printcap name = cups

and as you can see they are all commented out.