Samba: CUPS printers are not available at startup

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 03:00:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Lucio, I use this machine to share a USB connected Canon MP750. I have
> at least 5 other machines that connect and use the printer (lucid,
> maverick, natty, WinXP & Win7) - all w/o issue. Here is my
> status/testparm on this machine:
>
> gg at gg:/etc/init.d$ service cups status

> If you'd like I'll be happy to send you my /etc/samba/smb.conf directly.

Gary,

Many thanks for your attention.

Cups and  smbd status and testparm results are exactly the same
(differences due process numbers, snips and "printcap name = cups"
which seemed mandatory but wasn't).

Then I changed the workgroup name at the print server station because
there is one more machine configured as a Samba server in the same
net. Didn't help.

Restored "printcap cache time" back to default 700 in case 30 was too
little. Didn't work.

Now I intend to reinstall Natty with a blank /home partition to check
if something at /home (repeatedly cloned since Feisty) is causing this
problem.

Of course running a simple script: "sudo service smbd restart" at
startup would do. This was the patch they applied to buggy Lucid to
fix things but I would like to understand what is happening.

Lucio

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Platform Implementation