Samba: CUPS printers are not available at startup

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 14 21:16:43 UTC 2011

On 04/13/2011 10:25 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Dear fellows
>
> In my Maverick 64 or Natty 64 installs I do not see the expected
> automatic reload of CUPS by Samba.
>
> So, every time (hopefully seldon) my system is restarted I manually
> run "service smbd restart" to enable shared printers through Samba. Of
> course, if smb.conf is edited, smbd auto-reloads and this condition
> will not be observed up to the next startup.
>
> I have been following:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/494141
> because I thought that was the problem, however they clearly state
> that this bug is Lucid-only. Maverick and above should see CUPS
> periodically reloaded by the smb.conf parameter "printcap cache time =
> 700" which I reduced to 30 seconds to no avail.
>
> It seems there's something wrong with my smb or CUPS configuration,
> which by the way are very near to default, by I can't find it up.

Lucio, I use this machine to share a USB connected Canon MP750. I have
at least 5 other machines that connect and use the printer (lucid,
maverick, natty, WinXP & Win7) - all w/o issue. Here is my
status/testparm on this machine:

gg at gg:/etc/init.d$ service cups status
cups start/running, process 1076
gg at gg:/etc/init.d$ service smbd status
smbd start/running, process 990
gg at gg:/etc/init.d$ testparm
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
	workgroup = MSHOME
	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers

Notice these differences in your testparm:

and
[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers

If you'd like I'll be happy to send you my /etc/samba/smb.conf directly.