Kubuntu in production environments : which flavour ?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Tue Apr 12 09:48:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've been fiddling some time with recent versions of KDE, and I must
say, I like it a lot. Since I'm mainly using Linux for work (installing
it for professional clients like small town halls, schools, public
libraries and the likes), I wonder which version you guys would suggest
for production environments. On servers, I'm using the 10.04 Server
edition OK, but I wonder about which version to use on desktops.

- Vanilla 10.04 with all the updates?

- 10.04 with the KDE 4.5 PPA's?

- Vanilla 10.10 with all the updates?

- 10.10 with PPA's?

- 11.04b?

I don't mind (not) having the latest and greatest. I'm opting for stable
and usable (been a CentOS user before, so you can figure I'm not exactly
anal about using bleeding edge software :oD). Only I understand recent
KDE versions add quite some stability, so I wonder about the right
balance to find here.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki