[SOLVED] Failure to configure wired connection with Realtek 8111E on board LAN controller.

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 00:27:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 23:16:02 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

Well. I do not know what to say. The problem was actually in me, and I
feel quite dam.

About 3 years ago I set up my router to provide a static IP address to
the old system, which my new one has replaced. And I completely forgotten
about it.  Surely, since the new LAN controller had different MAC
address, it rightfully was not assigned any IP address at all.

Only after I decided to commit an actual installation I finally get a
suggestion.

Ubuntu installer failed to automatically configure a network but then it
offered a manual configuration. To my great relief (the controller was
not faulty) and surprise I get connected to the Internet right away. But
it lasted only up to the first reboot.

And then I remembered the damn thing.  So, I'm happy bunny now. I
installed Lucid 64-bit and everything worked out of the box. I was so
upset when my old system passed away all at a sudden.  But now I'm glad
it did. The new system just rocks. Things really fly here.

Thanks for your support folks.