screen resolution

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 19:22:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 19:01 +1200, chris wrote:

> The base install, with either programe, with out the nvidia 173 driver
> gives a res of 1064x 640.  Yuk!
>
> With the 173 driver it defaults to 800x600!
> Go figure

Mine would do the very same thing, using the gnome base package monitor
configuration thingie application... but if I use the nVidia supplied X
configuration tool, to set a higher resolution, ~and apply and then
write it out~, I can go back to the monitor setup-up and THEN set it to
the correct resolution, as it now has a choice to do so, showing up in
it's pick-n-chose drop-down list, where it didn't before. Makes sense?
That's OK, I get confused easily too, in my dottage and pain-killers.

So, I had to bounce from one to the other to get to where I wanted to
be. THEN it worked. I leave the timing on "auto" as setting my 21"
display to 85 hz it went ape. Maybe my FX-5500 just ain't up to the
task, I dunno. My monitor manual sez that is where it should be, but
either nvidia or X or the card ain't handling it. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256