wanting to fill in some gaps in luks-encrypted filesystems on ubuntu

KOTP knightotp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:18:13 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 03:06 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> $ sudo cryptsetup luksFormat -c aes -h sha256 /dev/sdb1
>
> which seems to work fine, but after that command is run, is there
> anything i can run that would *show* that that partition is now a
> luks-formatted partition?  i'm always interested in commands that will
> display the result of an action, but i'm not aware of anything that
> will show me that.  running "fdisk -l /dev/sdb" shows just a regular
> linus partition.  is there something else that would reveal that
> partition to be luks-formatted at this point?

sudo cryptsetup isLuks /dev/sdb1
and/or
sudo cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sdb1

//from the manpage http://linux.die.net/man/8/cryptsetup

isLuks <device>

returns true, if <device> is a LUKS partition. Otherwise, false. No
options.

luksDump <device>

dumps the header information of a LUKS partition. No options.
//manpage end

--
Regards,
KOTP