compiling source of abiword

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 05:12:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 13:41 +0100, Graham Todd wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 20:56:49 +1200
> chris <chevhq at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 12:37 +0530, dd wrote:
> > > I need your help. You may either read this mail or please visit
> > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10647750#post10647750
> > >
> > > Well, I've been for some time trying to compile the source of
> > > AbiWord (I know the package is available; just trying to do it
> > > myself ) . Now, when I run ./configure it gives the following
> > > missing packages.
> >

> > Why not just install it from synaptic?  It is in the repositories
> >

> If you look carefully at the OP remarks, he said he knew it was in the
> repositories, but he's trying to compile it himself
>
> I don't know why, but it could be to find out how this particular piece
> of the engine purrs under the hood, or he wants to read the source
> code and see how word processors need to be compiled under Linux, or
> simply that he doesn't want any of Abiword's code to be in his program,
> or more likely he just wants to know what the error messages mean and
> the best way to circumvent them.  All these options are valid reasons
> for compiling the application himself and asking here how not to raise
> the errors.
>
> Its what free software was designed around, after all!

So true, but the accepted "Ubuntu list norm", not the "Linux norm", is
that when you decide to go outside of the usual source of a complete,
readily available, easy to install .deb packages, that are maintained by
a maintainer who is doing his best, when it breaks "you get to keep both
pieces". After all, installing a tar ball is gonna put things in places
that just might not jive with what is considered "normal". :)  Ric

Linux user# 44256