How to try Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 10.10

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 7 21:33:33 UTC 2011

On 04/07/2011 11:39 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 7 April 2011 19:30, Merwin <merwin.irc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to know if it's possible to use Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 10.10. I
>> think it's too much integrated into the system to work, but I still ask.
>>

> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/11/install-vanilla-gnome-3-in-maverick/

<quote>
There are obvious issues to upgrading to Gnome 3 – not least of which is
the fact that Gnome 3 hasn’t been released. This isn’t an upgrade than
can be easily reversed either so be aware of what this entails before
attempting.
</quote>

Gnome 3 was released yesterday (<http://www.gnome3.org/tryit.html>), but
the rest of that comment is correct.

I'd recommend *not* doing that. If the Merwin just wants to get a feel
for Gnome 3 (albeit the earlier version), then just:

$ sudo apt-get install gnome3-session

Using the method in the omgubuntu.co.uk link involves installing
packages from an obsoleted PPA:
<https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/+archive/gnome3-builds/>
<quote>
GNOME 3 stack

    “Ubuntu Desktop” team
    GNOME 3 stack

PPA description

The new GTK and other bit of the GNOME 3 stack for testing and builds.

THIS PPA IS OBSOLETE. Please use the new PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3/+packages
</quote>

gnome3-session won't have all the bells & whistles as the version of the
just released Gnome 3, but it will, in general, be safe to try. And
certainly (IMO) safer than the PPA. Further, gnome3-session is just as
easy to uninstall/remove whereas the PPA will require considerable work.

Also a word of caution on the Natty version:
https://edge.launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3
<quote>
This package contains packages from GNOME3 and their dependencies so
they can be used in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty). This PPA is EXPERIMENTAL and
MAY BREAK YOUR SYSTEM. *There is no downgrade process*.
</quote>

Emphasis mine on the last sentence. So be sure to do it on a _test_
system rather than a daily/production machine.

Ya'll drive safe out there...