Help with Ubuntu 10.4 and Wireless Broadband

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 16:20:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 23:01 +0930, Terry Smith wrote:
> Sent via Evolution Mail ?  - Wed Apl 6   sent to:
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.
> Sent via Gmail - Wed Apl 6  sent to: as above
>

> Can anyone help me with a simple, basic step-by-step guide to setting
> up a wireless broadband connection using Ubuntu 10.4 (Lucid Lynx)?
>
> I have a USB dongle (Huawei E160E - HSDPA USB stick) supplied by Adam
> Internet (South Australia) on an AnyG plan on trial for 7 days.  It
> runs on the Optus 3G network and I have been assured that in this area
> I should get a reasonable connection and speed for my $19.90 for 1.5
> GB per month.  The problem is that Adam are very ambivalent about
> supporting their product.  They have varied from "it will be no
> trouble" when selling me the product, to a blank  "we don't support
> Linux and can't help you" when I called the support desk.  In between
> that there have been 2 very helpful staff there who have rung back
> with suggestions, but still with no success after 40 mins of telephone
> time in total.
> In addition I have been told there is a set-up guide on their
> web-site, but I can't find it, and finally Adam sent me a link to a
> site using their Business Solutions letterhead which is a guide to
> setting up AnyG using Ubuntu 9.4  The link is:  adamanyg-ubuntu.pdf
>    Also, I don't see Ubuntu 9.4 (Jaunty Jackalope), as Adam describes
> it, on the "Official Ubuntu Documentation" page
>
> Its helpful, but not up to date, as the screen-shots  for Ubuntu 9.4
> are not the same as Ubuntu 10.4 (e.g. there is no "Welcome" screen:
> no-where to enter the SP Code) and some fields are not completed in
> their screen-shots in the guide either.  What is the Ubuntu equivalent
> of the "Management Program" which the E160E set-up booklet mentions?
> Interestingly, (given how difficult it seems to set it up) the guide
> has this happy thought to keep me persisting with the project ...
> "Setting up AdamAnyG on Ubuntu is extremely easy, and has proven to be
> very reliable – and in many cases the performance has been better than
> on comparable computers running Windows! "
>
> It will be obvious that I'm a beginner with Linux/Ubuntu, but am keen
> to get it working if possible.  However it's not straightforward for
> beginners.  Sorry this email request for help is so long, but your
> assistance would be appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Erica

Hi Terry

Try this:

Plug in the USB Stick.  You should see a fan shaped wireless network
icon in the notification area (top right).   Right click on this and
select 'Edit Connections'. You then get the Network Connections
dialogue.  Select the Mobile Broadband tab. Click Add.

You now have Set up a Mobile Broadband Connection. It should be showing
that you have a Huawei device.  Click Forward. Select your Country
(Australia) and click Forward.  Select your Provider (Optus, I assume)
and click Forward.  Select your Billing Plan (whichever is appropriate -
mine is a Pay as you Go) and click Forward.

It should now work!  At least if it doesn't, you will know the sort of
questions you need to ask Adam.

The only other problem you might have (and I hope you don't), is to find
that your Huawei model is not supported.  That would be end of free
trial.

Tony