HEADS UP: Check your devices' UDMA settings - *TEMPORARY* *WORKAROUND*

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Apr 6 07:38:14 UTC 2011

Nathan Bahn wrote:
> So, if I'm understanding you correctly (a BIG if, admittedly), then
> S.A.T.A. hard drives are NOT affected by this bug; is my
> understanding correct? (and by the way, thanks that response to my
> question in the other thread!)

No, SATA drives are not affected because they have a different hardware
interface.

The IDE drives have a parallel interface with 40 or 80 wires cables. If
the cable has 40 wires it can only handle up to 33 MB/s transfer rate.
For higher transfer rates the cable needs 80 wires but the cable
detection seems to be unreliable, at least with the hardware of the OP.

The SATA interface is not an improved version of the IDE interface but a
non-compatible replacement with only 7 wires.

Nils