Problem with locale in ubuntu 10.10

Christof Buechi christof.buechi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 21:18:11 UTC 2011

Hi all,
thx for answer!

I used my ubuntu in the last two days with "export LC_ALL=de_CH.UTF8" in the
.bashrc.

Im not very sure, but I think I have to use de_DE as the language, and de_CH
for regional settings.
Thats the reason, why I cannot choose "Deutsch(Switzerland)" inside the
language settings panel from gnome. only at the "regional formats"-panel.
I tried to setup my environment with "set-language-env" and its not perfect,
but much better then before.
also the gnome-terminal uses now the utf-8 encoding, and can show special
signs. (more about this in the first mail with the calendar output)

*an output of "locale":*
christof at christof-T400:~$ locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Kann LC_ALL nicht auf die Standard-Lokale einstellen: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden //translation: the same as the line above with
LC_ALL.. "cannot set LC_all to default locale: No such file or directory"
LANG=de_CH
LANGUAGE=de_DE:en
LC_CTYPE="de_CH"
LC_NUMERIC="de_CH"
LC_TIME="de_CH"
LC_COLLATE="de_CH"
LC_MONETARY="de_CH"
LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_PAPER="de_CH"
LC_NAME="de_CH"
LC_ADDRESS="de_CH"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_CH"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_CH"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_CH"
LC_ALL=

It looks great except LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES and LC_COLLATE.
Does anybody know how I can set LC_CTYPE ?

*Additional an output of "locale -a"*
christof at christof-T400:~$ locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Kann LC_COLLATE nicht auf die Standard-Lokale einstellen: Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden //translate: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default
locale: No such file or directory
POSIX
de_AT.utf8
de_BE.utf8