"Stay alive" utility for Ubuntu?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 5 08:46:37 UTC 2011

On 5 April 2011 05:36, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 11:14:42 +0800, Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Forget to turn what back on?
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> The screensaver.  I end up leaving the screen alive for hours on end.
>>
>> Oh well.  Thanks to all for the great leads.  I think I have the problem
>> licked.
>>

> Ha! Ha! Ha!
> Since you got the problem licked, Jeffrey, hope we can spare some time for
> lighted hearted homour.
>
> I was under the impression that Colin was speaking tongue in cheek and I was
> about to reply, "The toaster - I always forget to turn the toaster off. Now
> where did I put that cup of coffee?". But like you, I think he may be
> serious in his question and the intended homour might be misplaced, badly,
> like it had been in the past.

Just for the record, so everyone realises that I am not *that* senile,
I was not being serious.

On a subsidiary point, I think that a screensaver used on a modern LCD
display does not increase the life of the display.  The pixels do not
wear out or burn in like a CRT display does.  The thing that does
happen is that the backlight wears out, so the important thing is to
put the display to sleep rather than running a screensaver.

Colin