Dell ispiron 530 video question

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 2 23:21:42 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 10:30 AM, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:32:36 am Linda wrote:
>> I have a Dell ispiron 530 desktop that came with 8.04 LTS. I
>> have upgraded it to 10.04 LTS and the person using it says
>> it keeps giving her a graphics error requiring her to
>> reboot. I told her to write down the error message for me
>> the next time. Anyway I started looking through the
>> paperwork that came with it but could not find out anything
>> about its graphics card. Has anyone had to do anything
>> special with their ispirion 530 since they upgraded to
>> 10.04? Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?
> Don't know what causes it but on my Inpiron 1525n, I get an error like that.
> I then need to restartx and then it comes up and works fine until the next
> kernel update.  Then I have to do the same thing again.  My guess is that x is
> somehow started too soon in the boot sequence after a kernel update but I
> really don't know what the problem is or why re-starting x after the fact fixes
> it.  It must rewrite something somewhere but what and where, I don't know.

It happened again on Friday saying graphic error restart x
in low graphics. Since the computer had gone into screen
saver. I got rid of the screen savers so it just goes to a
blank screen. I know I have had screen saver issues on some
machines in the past. I'm not sure if this is the problem
I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
            Linda