WIFI connection problem DLINK dwa-160 with ar9170 driver

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Sat Apr 2 22:44:39 UTC 2011

On 04/02/11 13:58, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 12:03 -0500, Normand Marion wrote:
>> The installation (10.04LTS) is working properly on the wired NIC. It
>> also works on XP on the same PC (dual boot) with the same WNIC and
>> NIC.
>>
>> With Ubuntu and WNIC I cannot reach the router and the web with a ping
>> or a firefox. But the connection looks connected: I got a valid IP,
>> mask and DNS information via DHCP.
>>
>> Pinging the router gives me
>>
>> PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
>> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>>
>> --- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
>> 4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3023ms
>>

>> Thank you
>>

>> 2011/4/2 S.Allen<marathon.durandal at gmail.com>
>>          On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 11:29:46PM -0500, Normand Marion
>>          wrote:
>>          >  Hi,
>>          >
>>          >  Somebody have a hint for my connection problem with a DLINK
>>          dwa-160 with
>>          >  ar9170 driver
>>          >
>>          >  With a dualboot on the same PC on XP=SP3 it works fine but
>>          on 10.04LTS it
>>          >  connects on wlan1 but I cannot reach the network
>>          >
>>          >
>>          >  If I do restart the deamon
>>          >
>>          >  >  service networking restart
>>          >
>>          >  I get
>>          >
>>          >  restart: Unknown instance:
>>

>>          <  ...>
>>
>>          >  Thank you
>>          >
>>          >  Norm
>>          >  --
>>

>>          So what's the problem, can you connect at all to the internet?
>>          Does the
>>          wired work? Can you connect briefly with the wireless and it
>>          drops out?
>>          Some hint as to exactly what's happening might help. ;)
>>
>>          >  --
>>          >  ubuntu-users mailing list
>>          >  ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>          >  Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>

>>          --
>>

> Try
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1282783.html
>
> or any other link for the Google search "dlink dwa-160 linux driver"
>
> It seems you may need to go down the ndiswrapper route.
>
> Tony

I'm holding a DWA-160 in my hand now. Works fine on this laptop, gives
me wireless N speed. One caveat, it does have a range issue and needs to
be close to the router. Shows up as wlan1. Because of the range problem,
I don't use it very often. For some reason it seems to work better on
"private domain" systems than the onboard Intel wireless. You might try
registering its MAC address on your router and assigning it a specific
IP address. Just tried it, plugged it in, switched from Intel to "ather
11n" in Network Manager then switched the Network Monitor applet from
Intel (eth1) to wlan1 and turned off the internal wireless. Works fine.

Hope this helped

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............