VirtualBox guest additons on Natty beta 1

bsfmig bigslowfat at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 22:30:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 23:35, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

> NoOp wrote:

>>> I realize that VBox has evolved but 3.1.6 is the version that is in the
>>> repositories for 10.04. I'm not sure I understand second point.
>>> Synaptic has the version I'm using.
>>>
>>> Regards,  Jim

>> That version is the opensource version&  typically does not have usb
>> support (unless you modify). I'd recommend using the PUEL version
>> (unless you have reasons not to):
>>

> Up until now the reason was what I have worked just fine for what I needed.
> Mainly to run a couple of paid for Windows programs in XP. I have also tried
> a couple different Ubuntu versions with it.  Maverick runs just fine,
> extensions and all.  I can't seem to install the extensions for Natty which
> led to my question.
>
> OK, I looked at the links you gave me.  To make sure I understand them. I
> should download and process the .deb file for Lucid AMD64. Add the lucid
> contrib non-free line to my sources.list. Download install the
> Extension_Pack. This will convert me to the PUEL version?
>
> Will it be installed along side my current version or will it replace what
> I have now?
>
> Will my current vdi's be used in the new version?
>

> Regards,  Jim
>

>  http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
>> and
>> <
>> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.4/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.4-70112.vbox-extpack
>> >
>> ===
>> VirtualBox 4.0.4 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack All platforms
>> Support for USB 2.0 devices, VirtualBox RDP and PXE boot for Intel
>> cards. See this chapter from the User Manual for an introduction to this
>> Extension Pack. The Extension Pack binaries are released under the
>> VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL).
>> ====

As of my personal experience, it will replace your current VirtualBox
installation, but your current virtual machines should be running fine.
I suggest that you update since it's version 4 supports compiz fusion in
virtual machines.

Precisely, starting version 4, VirtualBox - even on oracle's own website and
including its M$ Windows version - has been torn into two parts: a main part
that is fully compatible with GPL and a cross-platform addon pack that is
published under PUEL.