[k3b] Re: Need help, please, with burning DVDs

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 2 01:13:56 UTC 2011

On 03/30/2011 07:11 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 30/03/2011 11:37, NoOp wrote:
>> On 03/29/2011 06:24 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> cdrecord has no permission to open the device
>> Have tried some of the fixes/workarounds from:
>> <http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&source=hp&q=%22cdrecord+has+no+permission+to+open+the+device%22&btnG=Search>
>
> Thanks for this. I did check for the error messages I was getting but
> not for this particular one you have above and what was suggested
> (including the one above) did nothing [even after I replaced the burner
> and got the error messages when burning discs #5 and #6 as mentioned in
> my response to Richard]. With a new DVRW coming tomorrow, I'll come
> closer to finding out if it is the device or Ubuntu/k3b.
>
> (BTW, reading the search results in google re the problem only confirms
> what others have said which is that it is easier and quicker to ask in
> this mail list rather than go wading thru google-doogle: the most recent
> advices seen in the doogle were dated 2008 while some went back to 2004
> or so - not exactly up-to-date information.)
>
> BC

Right... but in searching some of those are possible
solutions/troubleshooting hints, also specific log messages etc.

You provided k3b error messages, but nowhere do I find that you checked
the dmesg and other system messages. At least if you did, I didn't
readily see it in this thread.

Some had issues with groups, others with memory limits, etc. Simply
because search results aren't up-to-the-minute doesn't mean that they
can't provide hints suggestions where to look. And you've noted that
throwing new hardware doesn't resolve the issue. So I'd recommend that
you *actually* take some time to check the google links... may take
awhile (did for me) and see if you stumble upon something worth trying.
Things like:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7185976&postcount=34
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/k3b
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=cdrecord+has+no+permission+to+open+the+device>

You may not find an exact 'ah-ha/how-to', but going through those just
might give you better ideas on how to troubleshoot. Unless of course
you'd like the list to do the 20 questions...

1. What other applications have you tried?
2. Does it only occur with k3b?
3. Have you modified any of your cdrtools etc applications? If so what?
4. You attempted to compile k3b from source (failed) - did you try
purging and reinstalling k3b?
5. Any similar bugs reported in launchpad that might be associated with
yours? If not have you filed a bug report?
6. Does the same occur if you switch users?
7. Anything in /var/log files that show events?
8. How about /home/<user>/.kde/share/apps/k3b/lastlog.log
.
.
.
20. etc.

Note that I'm not trying to make light of the problem, I'm instead
trying to point you to areas that I'd use to troubleshoot a similar
problem.