Removing Windows

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 30 20:36:25 UTC 2010

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 22:27 -0400, Kai Presler-Marshall wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I've run Ubuntu on my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 since April and haven't
>> booted Windows 7 since June, so I think it's time to remove it and
>> free up some drive space for Ubuntu.  How would I go about removing
>> Win7?  I have my 160GB HDD partitioned into 3; 100GB for Ubuntu (ext3
>> IIRC), a 2GB swap partition, and everything else for Win7.  I'd like
>> to loose the last partition and expand the 1st to take up the freed
>> space.
>
> 100 gigs is all that Ubuntu could ever want. You might consider just
> reformatting the last partition same as your Ubuntu partition (ext3) and
> mount it as /opt
>
> Then, it's just a matter of a few soft-links in your home directory to
> redirect ~/Video to /opt/Video, ~/Desktop to /opt/Desktop, etc. Then you
> get to keep everything personal there. Then when it's time for upgrade,
> you don't have to worry about backups, as everything you could wish to
> protect is completely out of the way. I have more gigs in personal stuff
> than I do system stuff, so I wish my /opt directory had been set larger
> than 1/2 of the drive. But, 60 gigs of safe storage is good! It's a
> perspective to consider. Ric

	That leads to another idea. GO ahead and reformat the Win partition as
ext3, but instead of moving & keeping your personal stuff on the new
partition, setup a backup strategy (search the archives, this has been
discussed many times) to copy all important data to the new partition.
	Yes, I know that doesn't help if the laptop is stolen, but having a
copy of an important document is good if you nuke the original during a
heavy editing session...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818