Totem Movie Player doesn't play movies, just sticks at first frame

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Sep 30 16:54:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 12:01:36AM +0800, [C]hicken [G] od wrote:
>    On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Chris G <[2]cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
>      When I try and play AVI files with totem it just sits showing the first
>      frame as though it's paused there but it's not paused.  Clicking
>      pause/play does nothing.
>
>      I can drag the Time slider across and the movie plays, it just doesn't
>      seem able to play by itself, any ideas?
>
>    Have you tried installing the codecs from [1]medibuntu.org?

If I knew what "the codecs" meant I might try it!  :-)

Searching for codecs in synaptic leaves me none the wiser, there's no
particular set of files that looks like 'codecs' to me.

In addition, since the movie plays OK when I drag the slider across
surely the necessary codec is available otherwise it wouldn't be
possible to decode the video.

--
Chris Green