Removing Windows

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 17:49:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:59, Kai Presler-Marshall
<kaipresler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Totally am in Chappel Hill :)
>
> I really don't want to reinstall now, this is my main system & I
> mostly have it set up the way I like it......and with how busy school
> is I don'mt have time to re-set it up ATM.  So I would be best off
> just keeping Windows or just using gparted to exand my Ubuntu to use
> everything?
>
> And your name sounds familiar.....

Heh... I bet, then, that you are the same kid I got the SGI O2 from a
few years back.  You have an unusual enough name to not be forgotten
:-)

I get the not having time and all (totally get that).  Given your
constraints, your best bet to make use of what you've got is to follow
Ric's advice WRT to just using that Windows partition for data (you
can re-format it and then mount it, create symlinks into /home, etc).

I would not suggest removing the partition completely and resizing the
remaining partition(s) given your constraints (time, etc).  When you
start resizing partitions, you run the very real risk of corruption
and loss of data.  So A: only do so after completely backing up
everything you want to save, and B: only do so when you've got the
time to rebuild from scratch.  The simplest, safest suggestion so far
was what Ric Moore said.

That or, my other suggestion, use the space currently occupied by
Windows to do OTHER OS installations on and try out other Linuxes,
BSDs, etc.

Cheers,

Jeff