SUSPECT: Re: File decryption

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Sep 28 20:14:45 UTC 2010

> Dave,  try this:  tar -tzvf file.tar.gz.
>

> The -t option  means test. It will test the archive and will tell you if
> the archive is corrupt or not.

Tried it. It runs through the entire file then back to the prompt, no
errors displayed. The file was copied to/from a presumably FAT formatted
flash drive so it's owned by me.

When I use this file for real, I do a fresh install of an operating
system, with user name administrator, update, restart, copy on this file
and unpack it. Then use the contents of the old passwd, group and shadow
files to reinstate the user accounts. Then use tar to unpack it again -
this time tar knows how to set the correct file ownerships. System
restored.

Right now I'm using Evolution connected to my IMAP server via WiFi on
the same machine that's showing the file unpack error message, so I
don't know what's causing it. It's an old machine with a fanless
mini-ITX board replacing the original, that I want to set up as a loaner
to friends.

I might replace the HDD with a newer, spare SATA unit next, see if that
makes any difference. Can't think of anything else to try.

Dave