File decryption

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:21:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 13:43 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 10:04 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> > When I apply
> >
> > tar -xvf filename.tar.gz
> >
> > to this file on the system I'm playing with tar gives me error messages -
> > can't remember exactly what they were. It's an old system that was given to
> > me with a 20GB ATA drive and ME installed on it. I replaced the motherboard
> > with a fanless Via mini-ITX unit that was reliably running 24/7 in a server
> > before I upgraded it a few weeks ago. The main reason for replacing the
> > motherboard is that it has more memory than the original.
>

> What Linux distribution and version is running on this machine?

Would file permissions be an issue? If you have midnight commander
installed, you could peek inside the tarball, and check the individual
file permissions, unless your user doesn't have the rights to read it at
all. Then maybe sudo tar -xvf filename.tar.gz would work? It's a shot in
the dark, not knowing more. Ric

Linux user# 44256