Media-oriented file browser

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Sep 28 01:55:01 UTC 2010

Hello NoOp,

Monday, September 27, 2010, 4:49:23 PM, NoOp wrote:

N> On 09/27/2010 04:19 PM, rikona wrote:
>> Hello Johnneylee,
>>
>> Sunday, September 26, 2010, 3:51:10 PM, Johnneylee wrote:

>> JR> Might want to check out Gloobus.
>> JR> http://gloobus.net/
>>
>> JR> Specifically the preview.
>>
>> Sounds good. Installed the lucid deb, but it doesn't seem to do
>> anything. What am I missing. It seems like there's a patched nautilus
>> for karmic, but nothing later. Does it need to be patched into a
>> browser? Any ideas?
>>

N> Found this earlier today:
N> <http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/how-to-install-gloobus-preview-in.html>
N> You have to set up compiz with regular Nautilus, otherwise install
N> nautilus-elementary.
N> <http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/install-nautilus-elementary-230-via-ppa.html>
N> Note: seemed too much work to set up without nautilus-elementary & I
N> didn't have time to test otherwise.

You're right - it is rather a it of work, and with a number of bug
citations, perhaps not the best way to go. And, even if done, it's
still not nearly as good as what was in the old konq - much faster,
easier, and no buggering with the stock S/W.

Also interesting to note the comments re 'elementary' - done to get
rid of stuff in nautilus. Can't blame them... :-) Forget the eye
candy, give me functionality. Pleeeze don't dumb it down too much.

Thanks for the note.

--

 rikona