thanks fedora

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Sep 26 23:11:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:15:19PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:

> > > Please read again the question you quoted. It was not suggested
> > > that something was still mounted but the question was why the
> > > light is still on. That are two totally different things.
> >
> > Check out his posts starting Sep 22. He was talking about the
> > light saying on after clicking Unmount in Places -> Computer
> > and /home??!!?? I wanted him to verify that the drive was unmounted.
>
> OK, I reread the entire thread. I'm not sure, but I think the use of
> /home as a description as a mount point was more a mix-up. And I'm also
> not so sure if he really thought the device was still mounted, it was
> more a concern of something not working right / as expected, i.e. like
> it used to be with Fedora or Windows.

I phrased the question poorly, however, it wasn't a matter of what he
thought, it was that I wanted him to verify that it was or wasn't
mounted.

> > > Who cares? That was not the question.
> >
> > *I* would care. Don't know about you but if I ran into that problem I
> > would want to see if the drive was mounted. If it wasn't it *might*
> > occur to me that it was only a  power indicator, Meet with your
> > approval?
>
> Maybe there are pen drives with differing bahaviour regarding the light.
> Mine has the light on while the USB port is powered and it is blinking
> during read / write operations. I think the ones I had previously
> behaved the same. That seems to be different to the pen drives you know,
> according to what you wrote in a previous mail.

True. What sort/brand of drives do you have that behave as you
described?

> > > Can you elaborate? What type of homework do you suggest? Instead of
> > > answering RTFM, please at least point to TFM.
> >
> > I didn't tell him to RTFM because I doubt there is an FM that covers
> > this but he could have run a search on the problem and checked out
> > the manufacturer's web site for any support. You know this better
> > than I. I saw no indication of any research thus the homework
> > comment.
>
> To me that comment looked like RTFM, only disguised with other words.
> Granted, there was no indication of any research from the OP in his
> previous mails. OTOH, I wouldn't expect to find the info on the
> manufacturer's web site. I just tried that for my pen drive but as usual
> there was only some information for Windows and Mac users.

True, but every once in a while you find a manufacturer that will offer
some kind of support. I just checked the Sony site (my pen drives) and
they talk about the read/write light in a FAQ. There's no excuse for
not, at least, trying.

> > > You seem to know
> > > everything about the subject
> >
> > I never said that nor did I imply it.
>
> True, you didn't write it but your homework comment seemed to imply it.
> Probably I read too much between the lines, so I take that back.

I have gotten into trouble a number of times for doing that.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279