ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun Sep 26 21:41:18 UTC 2010

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/25/2010 08:07 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> I have a big problem with lucid.
>> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
>> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
>> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
>>   (rev 03). On the site >
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
>> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
>> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
>> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
>> worse. I can find the module:
>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
>> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
>> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
>> the magic words to solve this problem for me.
>> Joep
>>

> Probably obvious, but have you tried 'System|Administration|Hardware
> Drivers'?
>
> $ apt-cache search broadcom
> bcmwl-kernel-source - Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source
> b43-fwcutter - Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
> bcmwl-modaliases - Modaliases for the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA driver
> bcm5700-source - module source for Broadcom's bcm5700 ethernet driver
> broadcom-sta-common - Common files for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
> broadcom-sta-source - Source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter

Gary,
I'm working with fluxbox and the hardware drivers tab
(Applications>System>Hardware) only contains "HPLIP Toolbox" and
"Xvidtune" and not the proprietary hardware drivers found in Gnome.
However, a funny thing happened. After I had got the whole thing working
I found under "(Gnome) Control Center" under "Hardware Drivers" the
Broadcom B43 wireless driver with the mention that a different version
was in use. I think I have to delve a little deeper into it.
Joep