login problem with Ubuntu 10.4

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 26 19:16:02 UTC 2010

On 09/25/2010 12:21 PM, macbeth wrote:
> Afternoon folks,
>
> I downloaded Ubuntu 10.4 the other night and installed it on a machine that
> had 8.04 on it.
>
> Everything looked just fine.  Rebooted, got to the login screen, logged in
> and gnome came up.  After about a second, the screen flashed black and went
> back to the login screen.
>
> Try as I might, I can't get in.  I went into safe Gnome just fine, but I
> have no idea what to look for.  Or, even what to google for.

When you say "and installed it" what exactly do you mean? Did you do an
upgrade from 8.04, or did you do an fresh install over 8.04? Please
provide details about what/how you "installed it" and details on the
machine hardware, particularly the video card.

Boot to recovery mode & run the dpkg option. Then resume & while in the
console mode have a look at ~/.xsession-errors and:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/dmesg
/var/crash
/var/log/dist-upgrade/
to see if you can spot anything obvious.