keeping updated

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sun Sep 26 03:38:56 UTC 2010

Tim Hanson wrote:
> Well folks, it has been a fun six months since downloading 10.04 for the first
> time.  I was a confirmed opensuse user.
>
> Now that the next iteration is on its way, how do I save my configuration
> (i.e., so I can install the same programs I have downloaded).  I don't want to
> manually reinstall everything.  I would prefer to type in a command and walk
> away for a while.

While some people, myself included, are fans of clean install, that's
more of an old die hard habit than good advice.  With Ubuntu, the update
manager will outright notify you that a new version is available, and
prompt you to press the big red button that must never be pushed...
So,,, go ahead push it, and walk away.

(I don't think the button is actually red unless you have a strange
theme going, but you get the idea.)