Run-Level 1

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 23:33:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 14:41 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>> > I have yet to understand why Ubuntu doesn't utilize it.
>>
>> Because Ubuntu has transferred the functionality of "/etc/initab" to
>> "/etc/init/*", except for "initdefault" (AFAIK) most probably because
>> Ubuntu and Debian only use a default of runlevel 2.
>
> Right, I was just openly wondering why? Isn't the use of /etc/inittab
> supposed to be the universal standard? Just wondering if there was some
> sort of benefit to the fork.

AFAICT, the only benefit is one of coherence; namely that it is
upstart that now controls what was in "/etc/inittab" and therefore the
configuration of the items in "/etc/inittab" belong in "/etc/init".

There must be some historical reason for splitting up the boot
configuration between "/etc/inittab" and "/etc/rc.conf" but I can't
fathom it at the moment and it must no longer apply (and perhaps
should've been removed when the "/etc/rcX.d" system came into being).
I'm too tired at the moment to think about this clearly; sorry.