ubuntu 10.04 and b43-fwcutter

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sat Sep 25 22:23:44 UTC 2010

Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>> I have a big problem with lucid.
>> I have an older laptop ( > 6 year old) and I have installed Lucid on it.
>> It's a 64-bit AMD 3000 with 512 MB.
>> The problem is in the wireless card. It is build woth the Broadcom B4306
>>  (rev 03). On the site >
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43legacy
>> a description for installing in Lucid says simply download b43-fwcutter
>> and install, that is all there is. No deal. If you download and installs
>> it nothing happens and the b43legacy module is not installed. Even
>> worse. I can find the module:
>> /lib/modules/2.6.32-22-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
>> but a modprobe with this module tells me it cannot be found.
>> I'm wrestling with it for several days and now I hope somebody can write
>> the magic words to solve this problem for me.
>
> Reading the instructions that you posted, I suspect that installing
> b43-fwcutter isn't enough and that you still have to go through these
> instructions:
>
> <begin>
> If you are using the b43legacy driver, follow these instructions.
>
> Install b43-fwcutter, then use version 3.130.20.0 of Broadcom's
> proprietary driver.
> Download and extract the firmware from this driver:
>
> export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
> wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
> sudo ./b43-fwcutter-013/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR"
> wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
> </end>
>
> where
>
> 1. "/lib/firmware//2.6.32-22-generic/" is most probably your
> "FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" rather than "/lib/firmware".
>
> 2. "sudo ./b43-fwcutter-013/b43-fwcutter" should probably be "sudo
> b43-fwcutter" or possibly "sudo /usr/bin/b43-fwcutter".

Tom,
Thanks for the reply. I had this done already and, as I have a directory
/lib/firmware it placed it there.
However, the instructions don't say what to do next.
I have a directory with 26 files, all with the extension .fw but I have
no idea how to actually install them as I assume that only after
installing them I get an entry in the device table e.g. wlan0. As long
as I don't get this I don't have a device to use with iwconfig.
I hope you can give me some more suggestions how to proceed.
Joep