sata problems

Nataraj incoming-ubuntu at rjl.com
Sat Sep 25 02:38:02 UTC 2010

drew einhorn wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
> <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
>
>     On Friday, September 24, 2010 01:39 AM, drew einhorn wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I have a Sans Digital TRA4M external 4bay sata drive enclosure.
>     >
>     > With a SiL 3132 one lane pci-e adapter.
>     >
>     > It connects using a single esata cable, there is a sata port
>     multiplier in
>     > the enclosure
>     >
>     > Any ideas on what I should try next to debug this problem?
>
>     Do you know what chipset the multiplier is? It could be problems with
>     the multiplexer or incompatibility.
>

> Don't know:
>
> Here's the only relevant line I could find in /var/log/messages
>  Sep 24 10:11:01 drew-challenge kernel: [ 7067.140342] ata3.15: Port
> Multiplier 1.1, 0x1095:0x3726 r23, 6 ports, feat 0x1/0x9
>
> And here's the relevant stuff from lshw
>
>         *-pci:1
>              product: RS480 PCI Bridge
>              vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
>              physical id: 4
>              bus info: pci at 0000:00:04.0
>              version: 00
>              width: 32 bits
>              clock: 33MHz
>              capabilities: pci pm pciexpress msi ht bus_master cap_list
>              configuration: driver=pcieport
>              resources: irq:0 ioport:d000(size=4096)
> memory:fdd00000-fddfffff ioport:fda00000(size=1048576)
>            *-storage
>                 product: SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II Controller
>                 vendor: Silicon Image, Inc.
>                 physical id: 0
>                 bus info: pci at 0000:02:00.0
>                 logical name: scsi2
>                 version: 01
>                 width: 64 bits
>                 clock: 33MHz
>                 capabilities: storage pm msi pciexpress bus_master
> cap_list rom emulated
>                 configuration: driver=sata_sil24 latency=0
>                 resources: irq:16 memory:fddff000-fddff07f
> memory:fddf8000-fddfbfff ioport:dc00(size=128)
> memory:fda00000-fda7ffff(prefetchable)
>               *-disk:0
>                    product: ST3750528AS
>                    vendor: Seagate
>                    physical id: 1.0.0
>                    bus info: scsi at 2:1.0.0
>                    logical name: /dev/sdc
>                    version: CC38
>                    serial: 5VP3DPA1
>                    size: 698GiB (750GB)
>                    capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
>                    configuration: ansiversion=5
>                  *-volume:0
>                       physical id: 1
>                       bus info: scsi at 2:1.0.0,1
>                       logical name: /dev/sdc1
>                       version: 1
>                       size: 980MiB
>                       capacity: 980MiB
>                       capabilities: primary multi swap initialized
>                       configuration: filesystem=swap pagesize=4096
> [...]
I have had a similar problem with USB connected SATA drives (system
crashes or hangs when writing to more than 1 drive simultaneously, read
from one, write to another works)  and decided to try moving them to an
ESATA interface.  I have heard that the AHCI based controllers on the
motherboard are often the most reliable soulutions.    I'm planning to
try this card which is sil3124 based.  At least a handful of people have
reported success with the 3124 chipset.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/DAT%20Optic/ESATAPCIE8/

Nataraj